Is National City in San Diego a safe place to live?

Life at the border! Weather is amazing however!

Postby azarya » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi all! I've been living in downtown San Diego for the past month and I found what looks like an amazing apartment in National City but I know nothing of the area. Btw, I am a 25 yr old female who will be living alone. Any info is greatly appreciated :)
azarya

Postby aodha » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:32 pm

lol NO
aodha

Postby osker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:38 pm

It will be fine as long as you are in a good part of National City.
osker

Postby eijaz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:51 pm

It will be fine as long as you are in a good part of National City.
Just about every neighborhood and city in the San Diego area has pockets of nice. And, National City is no exception. But, there are also large areas of crappy and the nice areas are hard to find. When looking in an area for a place to live, drive around the neighborhoods and look at the conditions of the properties. Is there a lot of poorly kept yards with a lot of junk and junk cars around? Is there a lot of tagging graffiti around? And, most importantly, does it seem that bars on the windows are the exception or the rule? These are good clues as to what kind of neighborhood you're looking at. You can also usually look up crime statistics on a city's website. And, I want to say that National City is big on vehicle thefts, since it's so close to the border.
eijaz

Postby winthorp10 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:58 pm

It leads San Diego County in violent crime, and the murder rate is triple the national average. It also possesses "significant gang and drug activity."

So, that's probably a no, especially for a solo 25-year-old female. But, you never know for sure until you go look at a specific apartment in person.
winthorp10

Return to San Diego Living